Maps have been an integral part of our history for hundreds of years, and they remain as popular today as they’ve ever been. Sure, there are more advanced iterations of the humble map available nowadays, such as Google Maps, but these don’t always supply what today’s traveller is looking for, and as all the data is digital, it doesn’t really showcase.
When visiting new destinations, there can be a lot of planning involved, and many will want to ensure that they have a unique way of documenting their journeys in an easy way for all to see.
Of course, this can be done with a conventional map, but there can be some limitations when using this approach. For example, the places we visit could be unrecognizable due to the number of indicators placed on the map. But what is the answer?
Fortunately, the answer to this predicament comes in the form of a scratch-off map that not only meets the requirements of those sightseeing, but can also be used in several other ways.
What is a Scratch-Off Map?
Although scratch-off maps have become popular with the masses, not everyone will be familiar with them. As the name would suggest, a scratch-off map is a map that allows for certain sections to be scratched off, mush in the same vein as a lottery scratch card, although scratch-off maps are more appealing to the eye, and can be displayed in several different ways.
Although scratch-off maps emulate the more conventional map design, they are presented in many different ways, meaning that the map you use never has to look out of place, regardless of whether it’s being used in the office or home.
The following is just an example of some of the products available when it comes to planning and documenting your travels.
• Scratch Map Original: This map is the original design that started it all, and remains popular today. The map is made using gold foil on top of glossed paper and even includes all the US and Australian state lines and Canadian provinces. There’s even a smaller version for those looking to use their map on the go.
• Scratch Map Deluxe: Those looking for a map that offers a little more detail and more luxurious finish may want to invest in the Scratch Map Deluxe. The map is presented on black matte paper with a gold foil finish, and offers users infographics that offer facts and information regarding locations on the map. Just like its inspiration, the Scratch Map Deluxe comes in a variety of sixes, meaning it can be used while mobile, or hung on the wall for all to admire.
• Scratch Globe: Want everything a scratch map offers but in globe form? Then fear not, as the Scratch Globe offers all the same functionality as a scratch map, but allows you to create a 3D product
• Framed Scratch Map: A framed scratch map is the ideal gift for travellers and thalassophiles alike. Regardless of whether you’re looking for a solution that blends in with your décor, or looking for a scratch map that focuses on oceonolgy.
Using Items in Conjunction with Your Scratch-off map
Although a scratch-off map can be used in several different ways, this doesn’t mean that travellers are limited to scratch-off maps alone.
Travel journals are a great way of making notes while travelling, especially if you’ve been fortunate enough to locate a truly unique location, and what’s more, you can even purchase a travel journey that comes with its own scaled-down version of a scratch-off map which can be kept inside the journal. Should you wish to have something bigger on display, then simply mark off the locations on your larger map when you get home.
Explore the UK and Ireland in More Detail
When making travel plans, it’s easy to assume that we must travel thousands of miles to find a location of interest, but those looking to start small will find that there are plenty of locations around the UK and Ireland that make for the perfect respite, as well as allowing for some memorable sightseeing.
Some may think that using a scratch-off map for their travels around the UK and Ireland isn’t an option, but nothing could be further from the truth.
Those looking to stay closer to home when travelling will find that a scratch-off map makes a great addition to any home or office and can be used to plan or record your journeys. Unsure of where to start? Then why not using the following locations as an inspiration.
- Tower of London: Take a guided tour around this historic castle that has affiliations with royalty and a wealth of history to embrace.
- Stonehenge: Think stones are boring? A visit to Stonehenge to view this construction put together over 5,000 years ago could change all that.
- Hadrian’s Wall: This stone barrier was designed to separate the Romans and the Picts and was built over 200 years ago. Although not in its original condition, it’s worth a visit just to see the remnants of an era gone by.
- Giant’s Causeway: These interlocking basalt columns located in Northern Ireland are the remnants of a volcanic fissure eruption which was declared a World Heritage Site in 1986.
- Guinness Storehouse: Those visiting the famous Irish city of Dublin would be hard-pressed to find a tour that’s more alluring, especially as there’s an opportunity to taste the wares.
When visiting the UK and Ireland, the above locations are only the tip of the iceberg, and what’s more, those who have a scratch-off map can plan their future visits using a scratch-off map or present their visits in an appealing way that will impress friends and family alike.
Travelling Further Afield
Once you’ve seen what the UK and Ireland have to offer, you may be keen to spread your wings and discover new locations abroad. Don’t worry, there’s a map designed for that too.
You may be looking to visit all the USA landmarks, or looking to see animals in their natural habitat, there is a map that will meet your requirements, and even help you on your way when it comes to making discoveries. The USA Landmarks edition of the scratch-off map tells all you need to know about some of the famous locations situated around the USA, including pictorial guidance to ensure that the information can be absorbed easily, making it an ideal gift for people of all ages. Some of the highlights include, but are not limited to the following:
- Statue of Liberty
- Yosemite Park
- Grand Canyon
- Yellowstone National Park
If you prefer to visit the more unique locations scattered around the world, then don’t worry, as there is also an option designed for backpackers.
Those of you who will be travelling for some time have the option of using the Scratch Map Backpacker that is designed with ease-of-use and longevity in mind. Regardless of whether you’re looking to take in the sights or avoid the tourist traps and create your own bespoke adventure, a scratch-off map in any guise is the ideal travelling companion.
If you’re just starting your adventure, a scratch-off map can be the ideal tool for putting together the ultimate travel bucket list.
It’s Not All About Travelling
Given the many ways a scratch-off map can be used, you would be forgiven for thinking that it is only of use to those who travel a lot, but nothing could be further from the truth.
A scratch-off map can be used as a gift, an educational tool and can even add some character to the home
For example, those who are more interested in what’s above them will simply love the zodiac Star Globe. Rather than focus on countries, oceans and animals, the Star Globe concentrates on the constellations, and even offers a calming view of the same during the night.
This can be ideal for children who are currently learning about astrology, or for those who can’t get enough of the skies above have to offer.
Scratch-off maps are also the ideal gift for a loved one, and they don’t even have to be a seasoned traveller to get the full benefit.
Those who have memories in a particular country or location will fall in love with a scratch map that highlights their travels and can be updated when needed.
Children can also discover more about the world in a fun and immersive way, regardless of whether they’re learning about animals that reside in different part of the world or looking to make sense of the stars above. The possibilities really are endless.
Regardless of whether you’re travelling or just looking to learn more about the world around us, scratch-off maps are the ideal gift for those looking for something more tangible that social network check-ins when making a record of the countries they’ve visited.